New Hope Hospice is celebrating its 21st year as an independent, free-standing, not-for-profit hospice located in Eddington, Maine. As of the end of 2013, New Hope Hospice has provided comprehensive hospice care to 1,746 patients and families. The organization has continued to grow; serving 33 patients and families during the first year and 143 patients and families during 2013.
New Hope Hospice was founded in 1994 by Patricia Eye, Constance Eye, and Nancy Burgess with the intent of establishing a much needed in-patient hospice facility. The founders quickly learned that in-home care had to be a first priority. In these early days, it was necessary to apply for a Certificate of Need from the State of Maine. This process took nine months and a significant amount of funding. New Hope Hospice then became State Licensed and Medicare Certified in April of 1995 when the first patient was admitted. Payment from Medicare was not received until October of that year.
During this process, the vision, dedication, commitment and financial support came from Patricia Eye; who invested $140,000 of personal funding to open the doors and keep them open. The first funding by Medicare was not received until one year later; nine months after accepting the first patient.
At the beginning of this adventure, New Hope Hospice was run out of the Eye home. In 2000, the hospice was able to support the purchase of its current location at 1344 Main Road in Eddington, Maine. The farmhouse (built in the 1800’s) was renovated and modified to meet the growing needs of the agency.